Posts in the Quilting Works in Progress category

New look!

Maybe you noticed that I’ve changed things up a little bit around here? A new domain, a new look – it was time for an update. So take a peek around and let me know if you run into any problems!

Meanwhile, since I never like to post without photos, here are a few Instagram photos (are you following me yet? I’m there so much more than here!) of some works in progress I’ve got going on. Not a ton these days as I’ve been very busy with so many other things… But I have some good starts!

10522831_916691288358017_1026619849_n 10387829_686635261407480_1277248353_n

First up? A couple of experiments that will turn into some pillow sleeves!

914309_683545045035253_535869899_n

And a quilt top that uses up a bunch of my 1″ gray scraps. (I have so many around after making this quilt!)

10584564_561278780664384_382461335_n

And the latest thing on my design wall – one big quick improv block to make a baby girl quilt. I love working this way… just snatching up what I have around to create something on the fly.

Now to find the time to get some of these things finished up!

Also, a quick heads up that a week from today, on August 18th, the Action Kivu Fundraiser will be launching again. One week of prizes and fundraising all for a fantastic cause! Can’t wait to see you back here then!

Bias 3 quilt top

I got this quilt top finished up today. I am absolutely thrilled with how it came out.

Bias 3

It’s 60″ x 75″ and the longest stripes are 94″ long. I knew when I came up with the design that I would need to work hard to keep the lines straight. I pieced the entire thing in my Modern Solids, and I’m so happy with how crisp and straight it came out.

I thought I’d show a few photos I took as I made it…

Bias 3 - In progress Bias 3 - In progress

Pressing played a big role in the process… I pressed all of the seams open to keep it nice and flat.

Bias 3 - In progress

Bias 3 - In progress

Piecing this many 1 1/2″ stripes was a bit nuts, but worth it in the end!

Bias 3 - In progress

Once I’d finished piecing it all, I put it up on my design wall, drew on where to trim and squared it up! Here’s a couple of pretty photos of it…

Bias 3 Detail

Bias 3 Detail

Oh and one bit of business! The winner of the copy of Quilt Improv is Christina. Congrats and I’ve dropped you an email.

Hope you are all having a fantastic weekend!

Didn’t Get the Memo

Got this quilt top finished up over the weekend. I think the name of it is pretty self explanatory!

IMG_1206

It’s hard to tell in photos but these darker triangles are actually both navy and black.  And the one orange one is Kona Flame.  It’s such a great color.

IMG_1208

As of this week I’m back to working from home so I hope to find the time to finish this one up soon!

It’s been radio silence around these parts as I transition back into being at my day job.  Just three months and then I’ll be back to working for the MQG and from home again.  Meanwhile, it’s hard to find any time to get in front of my sewing machine.  I miss it! The usual story, right?  Finding balance between work, family and fun is always hard!

Meanwhile, when I do grab 30 minutes or so I’ve been working on some class samples for when I teach up at A Quilters Affair up in Sisters, Oregon in July.

Showing my MQG pride as I quilt!
Are you going to be there? If so, I would love to meet you!  I’ll be giving a couple of talks too, so it should be a really fun week!

Crazy dense quilting inspired by @jacquietps !

Anyhow – these class samples are coming along nicely and I’ll be sure to post them here when I’ve finished them up!

BTW – are you on Instagram? I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll mention it again because I’m over there so much more than I find time for blogging… Follow me if you wanna. You’ll see a whole lot of my baby too so though maybe it’s not for you if baby pics aren’t your thing.  Ha.

Hope that  you get a good start to your week as April is here!

Some of you may know that the MQG held a QuiltCon block challenge that lead to the QuiltCon fundraiser quilt and also a TON of extra blocks. All of those blocks are being used to put together a quilt for every bed in the Austin Children’s Shelter.

The LAMQG is putting together two of these quilts and I sewed up one of the tops. I received these great blocks:

photo (31)

Then it was time to make some decisions about how to use them in the lay out. Since the quilt is going to be long armed, I thought I’d leave lots of negative space that can be filled up with some beautiful quilting. This bright vivid blue is also perfect for kids.

IMG_0401

You can see my process in this photo. I use Illustrator and design to scale. This makes it easy for me to sort out how big the fabric surrounding the blocks needs to be.

Another lil’ note about this photo – those two bits of sewing in the upper right of my design wall? I leave those there all the time as a constant reminder about what I should focus on with my quilting. The wonky log cabin was sewn up with Denyse Schmidts’ fabrics (I was sure she wouldn’t mind!) that she had brought for the LAMQG workshop and that I had in my house for about a day before mailing them all back to her. The A was sewn up in Elizabeth Hartman’s workshop using her freezer paper method. These two bit of sewing, to me, represent the 1) the freedom of design and sewing without thinking and 2) the importance of good craftsmanship. Having those there as a constant reminder is a good thing for me.

Anyhow – here’s the finished top and now it’s off to be quilted!

IMG_0429

I don’t know about you, but I’m certain these quilts are going to add a lot of vibrancy to the shelter. So thrilled that together the MQG can do this great charity quilting!